In the German Democratic Republic, the former East Germany, electric instruments began to be produced in the mid-1950s. The EMP1 ionika small organ debuted in 1958. Series production began in 1959. The “Weltmeister” Claviset 200 (Weltmeister means “world champion”) was developed by the Klingenthaler Harmonikawerke company in 1963. Sound was generated by plucked metal reeds which were electrically scanned. Using toggle switches, nine timbres and three vibrato intensities were selected. The instrument is similar to the Cembalet manufactured by Hohner in Trossingen and was very popular in the GDR.