Balmain shipwright ‘Wee Georgie’ Robinson built BRITANNIA in just six weeks in 1919. A keen member of the Sydney Flying Squadron, Robinson raced the 18-footer for 26 years on Sydney Harbour and on waterways around New South Wales.
In 1945 Robinson removed the skiff’s sailing rig, installed an engine and added a cabin. For the next 28 years BRITANNIA served as the Sydney Flying Squadron’s starter boat, with Robinson on board as official race umpire.
BRITANNIA is displayed in its late 1930s condition, with the wear and tear of 20 years of hard racing clearly visible. The hull has been restored and the rig reconstructed using original materials and techniques.