Santa Fe 0-4-0 #5 Little Buttercup began life in 1899 as an 0-4-0T built by Baldwin Locomotive Works as Santa Fe Terminal #1 for operation on the Santa Fe trackage in San Francisco's China Basin. Built to burn oil, the locomotive carried its water supply in a large saddle tank that sat directly over the boiler (hence the 0-4-0 "T" designation). After a few years it was renumbered into the Santa Fe system as #2419. In later years, it served as the shop switcher at Needles, California, and was renumbered 9419 in 1945. In 1948 the Santa Fe rebuilt the locomotive to an "old timey" appearance for historical display at the Chicago Railway Fair. The saddle tank was removed and a tender added. To complete its new appearance, the locomotive received a large smokestack, headlight, bell, and a colorful paint scheme. It was named "Buttercup" after an early Santa Fe 4-4-0 steam locomotive from the 1880s. After the Chicago fair, the Santa Fe kept the locomotive for promotional purposes and occasional special events. It last operated under steam in the mid-1950s. In 1986 the Santa Fe presented the locomotive to the California State Railroad Museum, who in turn placed the engine on permanent loan in 2008 to the California Trolley and Railroad Corporation. It is currently housed at the Trolley Barn in History Park.