One of the very first telescopes built by Perkin Elmer Corporation of New York. Glass for the objective lens (a crown and flint achromatic lens) was poured by Chance Brothers, England; Halley Mogey, the first employee of Perkin Elmer, likely ground and polished it. The telescope was officially opened to the public on October 25th, 1940. Brass tube on a German equatorial mount, with 4386mm focal length (f/17.2). Perkin Elmer Corporation is noted for having later built the optics for the Hubble Space telescope.