This building was designed by François-Jacques Farfouillon in 1846 at the request of the merchant Jean-Pierre Lempereur. The architect referred to classic Renaissance architecture as witnessed by the Italian influences in the treatment of the bays, entablatures and inlay work: dentils, palmettes, rosettes. The three street façades were treated identically. At its completion, the building was considered one of the most remarkable of its time. It has even been compared to the work of the Italian architect Bramante.