The ceremonial sword commissioned by Stanisław August was created by a Warsaw jeweller Joachim Friedrich Jacobson for the coronation in 1764. The exquisite decoration combines Baroque and early classicist features. The hilt is in the form of an eagle’s head, and the pommel is inscribed with a gilded inscription STANISLAUS AUGUSTUS REX DEDIT ANNO 1764, as well as the coats of arms of Poland and the Poniatowski family. The King used this sword for the ceremonial dubbing of the Knights of the Order of the Golden Spur, and later for those of the Order of Saint Stanisław. This was depicted by Marcello Bacciarelli in a coronation portrait of Stanisław August.
After the fall of Poland, Stanisław August took the sword to Grodno, and after his abdication in 1795 to Petersburg. After the King’s death, it belonged to Russian tsars. It was returned to Poland in 1928, and displayed in the Throne Room. In 1939, it was exported to France and stored in the Polish Embassy in Paris, later in Great Britain and in Canada. It returned to Warsaw in 1959.