The painting depicts a landscape view of the southern Danish towns of Mögeltönder, to the left, and Tönder, to the right, viewed from the south. In the foreground the peasants are ploughing the fields with a mixed team of both horse and ox. Prior to 1864, the region was a part of the Duchy of Schleswig-Holstein. In Mögeltöder lies Schackenborg Castle, here visible in the middle of the composition. The castle is today the home of Prince Joachim of Denmark.
The Castle, formerly named Mögeltönder House, was given as a gift to the Count of Schack for his efforts in the defence of Copenhagen in 1659. The painting was taken as war booty by Carl Gustaf Wrangel during the war between Sweden and Denmark, possibly from Nyborg Castle in 1658.