Physical Dimensions: overall: 110.9 x 110.4 cm (43 11/16 x 43 7/16 in.)
framed: 116.21 x 115.89 x 6.67 cm (45 3/4 x 45 5/8 x 2 5/8 in.)
Provenance: (Galerie Nebehay, Vienna); sold 1919 to Otto [d. 1926] and Eugenia Primavesi, Vienna; acquired 1928 with other paintings from Eugenia Primavesi by Hugo or Otto Bernatzig (or Bernatzik), Vienna. Brought to the United States by Josef Urban [1872-1933], New York. (Galérie St. Etienne, New York), possibly by 1959; Otto [1894-1978] and Franziska [1899-1992] Kallir, New York; acquired 1978 through gift and purchase by NGA.
 According to Tobias G. Natter, cited in _Klimt, Schiele, Moser, Kokoschka. Vienne 1900_, Exh. cat., Galeries nationales du Grand Palais, Paris, 2005-2006: unnumbered catalogue. The name Sigmund Primavesi that is listed in the painting's provenance in the 1965 Guggenheim exhibition catalogue is probably an error.
 According to Jane Kallir, _Saved from Europe: Otto Kallir and the History of the Galerie St. Etienne_, Exh. cat., Galerie St. Etienne, New York, 1999: pl. 16.
 The Galerie St. Etienne, whose owners were Otto and Franziska Kallir, included the painting in its 1959 Klimt exhibition. Mrs. Josef Urban was listed in the catalogue as a lender, but which painting(s) she lent is not specified, so it is possible she had inherited the painting from her husband and still owned it in 1959.