In 1934, Charles Darrow of Philiadelphia began manufacturing Monopoly game sets on his own. His first products were the so-called "tie box" sets, sold in long boxes used for neckties, which had printed oilcloth game boards that were then rolled around a tube for storage. Darrow's next model used a more standard game board, sized at 23 inches, the same size as his oilcloth boards. Soon afterwards, he made the playing boards smaller, about 19 inches, to fit more easily into standard sized boxes. Though it lacks its original box, except for a fragment of the top with instructions glued on the back, this example is one of the rare Monopoly sets with a 23-inch game board.