It is T-shaped with an ivory handle, an arm with a magnifying lens at the end, and another metal arm with an adjustable piece to clip the item being examined into place. The 3 arms have a hinge system to make them foldable.
This very simple type of botanical microscope was popular toward the end of the 18th century and during the 19th century. It was first mentioned in the second edition of George Adams' "Essays on the Microscope" in 1798. William and Samuel Jones were scientific instrument makers who, following the death of George Adams "The Younger," bought the copyright for his books and published a second edition featuring an illustrated description of this kind of botanical microscope.