In January 1849 the excavator, Henry Layard, made a remarkable discovery in the palace of Ashurnasirpal II at Nimrud. Behind twelve cauldrons was a pile of bronze bowls. Many of them had disintegrated but he brought back about 150 complete or fragmentary bowls to the Museum. Many of the bowls have intricate chased or incised decoration on the inside and sometime the designs are embossed or raised from the back. There are various decorative schemes. This one has clear Egyptian motifs with alternate sphinxes and kneeling Egyptian figures in the three bands around the central star. Similar bowls have been found at various places in the Mediterranean, including the Greek mainland, Crete and in Etruscan tombs. It possibly originates in Phoenicia on the Mediterranean coast from where it was brought presumably as booty or tribute by one of the kings who campaigned in the west. It is known from contemporary Assyrian accounts that vast quantities of booty were removed from captured cities. It is not known why the bowls came to be piled up in a palace room at Nimrud.