Bernardo de Arás combined the naturalistic trend of the mid-15th century with elements of the earlier international Gothic style. He is documented as having created several pieces for a variety of churches in the city and province of Huesca between 1433 and 1472. These included an altarpiece for the church of the Hospital of Our Lady of Hope (Hospital de Nuestra Señora de la Esperanza, San Lorenzo y San Vicente). The church faced the building that now houses the Huesca Museum, in the Plaza de la Universidad (University Square), which was known as Plaza del Hospital until the third quarter of the 19th century. The Calvary panel formed part of this set created between 1455 and 1470, and would have crowned the top of the altarpiece. Another panel kept in the museum, Saint Vincent the Martyr, would have occupied the central position as the title saint. This Calvary panel reveals characteristics typical of the artist: compact groups of people, the use of gilding, the landscape in the background, and the small size of the faces in comparison to the bodies.