Commercial fruit growing started in Niagara between 1825 and 1830 when John Durham set out a large peach orchard on the River Road near Queenston now known as the 'Fisher Farm'. The first factory to can fruit in Niagara was set up in St. Davids in 1897 in an old flour mill. This building burned down in 1923 and a new plant was erected in 1924. St. Davids was a good location for the factory due to the large peach farms located in the region and the local access to good roads and railroads in the St. Davids area. Factory #22 was in operation until 2008 when the owners (CanGro) decided to close the plant.