By the late 1890s, the CEF site consisted of nine main buildings, many small cottages, outbuildings, and six large residences. Some of these structures remain part of the CEF, and have been designated federal heritage buildings.
The Carpenter’s Shop, built in 1889, is one such building. It first functioned as an implement and harness shed, originally located across from the main barn. It was moved to its current location in 1929.