The noble house in the rural world, from where it obtains its revenue, is closer to that which we can call a machine for inhabiting. The ground floor or lower floors, whether they are evident on the main façade, or located at the back of the house, are intended for storage, presses and other facilities required for agricultural production. This aspect brings the noble house closer to other homes in the town, which, although not as elaborate, have the same organisation.
The Casa do Santo is located at the western boundary of the town of Provesende, which gives it a more rural nature, although the main façade is facing the street. The garden and vine plots are located at the back. Joaquim Pinheiro de Azevedo Leite (1829-1918) lived here. He was responsible for introducing the American rootstocks which helped to fight the spread of phylloxera, the plague that devastated Douro viticulture in the second half of the 19th century.