Armand Jules Jullien manufactured dolls in Paris from 1863 to 1904. He purchased the heads for his dolls from the Gaultier firm around 1881 and secured them on hollow wooden bodies. Unlike several other French doll-making companies, Jullien did not join S.F.B.J. in 1899. Instead, the company imported doll heads from Germany and continued, for at least a few years, offering its own product.