The folding stool (faldistorium) was purchased by the museum from the Benedictine Abbey of Admont, where it served its abbots, along with the mitre, ring, pectoral cross and crozier, as insignia of office. As such it has a place within the tradition of the Roman sella curulis. Along with the folding stool from the Benedictine Abbey of Nonnberg in Salzburg, it is the oldest piece of seating furniture preserved in Austria. The rail connecting the two cross shafts is a later addition from the 15th century. On it is the coat-of-arms of the abbot, Johann von Trauttmannsdorff, who was the abbey superior from 1466–1481.