Pilgrimages to Santiago boomed in the 11th century with significant support from the Church and monarchy. This meant a new basilica was required and construction began in 1075, during the reign of Alfonso VI and the tenure of Bishop Diego Peláez. The capitals in the Chapel of the Savior proclaim that "This work was constructed during the reign of King Alfonso" and "was begun in the time of Bishop Diego." During this first construction phase, which lasted until 1088, the central sections of the ambulatory and its chapels were built.
The founding capitals each depict their protagonists surrounded by angels holding cartouches that bear the commemorative inscriptions described.