This black gondola weighs in at approx. 700 kg and was given to a businessman from Berlin by a Venetian trader in 1975 as a present. In the beginning the former used it for boating on the Halensee lake, but then it fell into disrepair and was ultimately moved to the depot of the then Ethnological Museum in 1982 in a spectacular trip across the frozen lake. The gondola was next elaborately restored by two boat builders from Kiel in order to present it to the public for the very first time in the exhibition “Boats from around the World” (1985). The accessories comprising a wooden rowlock (forcula) and gondola decorations such as two small horses and a vase were acquired in 1985. Gondolas of this type had been in use as a local transport vehicle on the lagoons and canals of the Venetian region since around 1440. From the 19th century onwards they have been considered a popular means of tourist transport. They are distinguished by their narrow and slightly asymmetrical, curved shape, which improves their manoeuvrability. Bow and stern are equipped with a flat roof the gondolier stands on; the passenger seating is locatedin the middle.The most important feature in technical terms is the wooden rowlock. Lavish relief carvings and gold leaf decorations turn this gondola into a commanding representational object.