Loading

The upper part of the tube is cylindrical while the lower part is wedge-shaped. The bottom has a screw system attached, along with the lenses, to an arm extending from the pillar. There are 4 lenses in sequence, which can be used together to achieve different magnifications. The pillar is cuboid with a rack mechanism on the rear and a side screw that allows the stage to move vertically for focusing. The stage is square with a large central hole. There is a slim plate below the stage, separated from it by a spring system that holds the slide against the stage's underside. Lighting is provided by a concave mirror under the stage, in front of the pillar. The barrel bears the inscription: "C.H. Dixey, Optician of the Queen, New Bond St. London."

The whole microscope is screwed into a hole in the middle of the beveled lid of the wooden box, which serves as a base. The original lock and key have been preserved. This is a highly versatile microscope and can be considered "intermediate," given that it is larger than a pocket-style instrument. It can be operated as a simple microscope if the tube is not used with the eyepiece.

The English company C.W. Dixey was founded in London by William Fraser in 1777 as a business making optical and mathematical instruments. Having suffered a range of financial problems, it was rescued by Charles Wastell Dixey in 1824 and became one of the most distinguished companies in London for over a century. During its first years of operation it was located at No. 3 New Bond Street.

Details

  • Title: "Gould" microscope
  • Provenance: Microscopio procedente de la "Colección Bruni”, la cual consta de casi 80 microscopios correspondientes a los siglos XVIII, XIX y XX que fueron recolectados por el Doctor Blas Bruni Celli y donados por su hija Maria Eugenia Bruni a la RANM en 2016.
  • Type: Microscope
  • Rights: Ricardo Peña
  • Medium: Metal, glass, wood

Get the app

Explore museums and play with Art Transfer, Pocket Galleries, Art Selfie, and more

Recommended

Google apps