Provenance: Probably acquired through (Ambroise Vollard [1867-1939], Paris) by Egisto Fabbri [1866-1933], Florence, by 1920; by whom sold c. 1928 to (Paul Rosenberg et Cie., Paris). Marius de Zayas [1880-1961], and his wife Virginia Harrison, New York, by c. 1930; by inheritance to his wife; (Zayas sale, Parke-Bernet Galleries, New York, 14 October 1965, no. 92); Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1973 to NGA.
Published in article on Fabbri collection in Daedalo, 1920. See John Rewald, The Paintings of Paul Cézanne: a Catalogue Raisonné, New York, 1996, no. 438, regarding the dispersal of the Fabbri collection.