The river Musi and it northern bank where Rang Mahal Gardens lies to the south of the British Residency are visible on the map. From the Afzal Ganj Road, Rang Mahal Road leads to the Rang Mahal Gate and to the left side of Rang Mahal Garden lies a cemetery and Kabutar Khana also visible. Rang Mahal was the residence of Khair-un-Nisa Begum who was married by the W.A Kirkpatrick when he was the resident, who built the Rang Mahal. But, the building was demolished after some years hence it's not evident on the map, only the garden situated on the compound of Rang Mahal is visible. The residency was situated to the north of the Musi and from the city, one has to be approached through the Oliphant Bridge. It was at the Residency, the British envoys resided hence the name came to the site. Initially, the Nizam Mir Nizam Ali Khan, Asaf Jah II, offered a residence of him on the site to the envoy John Kennaway and after his death due to the small and inconvenient in size, W.A Kirkpatrick built another building under the supervision of Royal Engineer P. Russel. The building completed in 1808 surrounded by a wall and bastions at the entrance gate.