Loading

Hyderabad Municipal Maps, City Area, Sheet No - 109 Front

Leonard Munn, A.F Chinoy, and A.T Mackenzie

Kalakriti Archives

Kalakriti Archives
Hyderabad, India

The Daira Firoz street, where settlements on the both sides of the street, in between, a portion of flower garden belongs to Maharaja Kishan Prasad lies to the left and Raja Rai Rayan garden lies to the right side of the street visible. Maharaja Sir Kishan Prasad was made the prime minister of Hyderabad state during 1901-1912, whose family tree traced back to Raja Toder Mall, the finance minister of Mughal emperor Akbar. The fifth descendant of Toder Mall was Rai Mulchand, who accompanied Asaf Jah Nizam-ul-Mulk, thus, came to Deccan and was appointed as the head of the customs and exercise departments. When Rai Mulchand died his son was placed on the post of the father. Raja Chandu Lal Bahadur was another prominent person from this family before the Maharaja Sir Kishan Prasad and the latter had acquired many titles from the Nizams such Shagirdi-ras-filsaf fah ( special pupil of his Highness), Raja-i-Rajayan, Yami-us-Saltanat, and G.C.I.E. First, Maharaja Sir Kishan Prasad could possess civil and criminal powers over his estates which he got from his maternal grandfather Maharaja Narainder Bahadur. In 1892 he was appointed as Peshkar or deputy minister, which was hereditary, after Prime Minster and vice president of executive council etc. Thus, he was better Known as Peshkar Maharaja Sir Kishen Prasad Bahadur. The Raja Rai Rayan Bahadur was also one of the prominent noble in the state of Hyderabad, whose family comes second in rank among the highest noble family and the ancestors of the family were acted as the Peshkar to the Nizam. Peshkar was an administrative officer, ranked next to the minister under the Asaf Jahi (Nizam) administration. So, over a period of time whenever the members of the family were installed on the post of Peshkar were also granted the title Raja Rai Rayan along with the Mansab. Next, the Berun-i Gaulipura main road is visible. Such a thickly inhabited area can be seen on the both sides of the road. Also, many graves of persons belongs to Muslim as well as Hindu community are marked well. Apart from these, stepwells visible. These stepwells were constructed mainly for the storage purpose especially in the arid regions like Deccan. Due to the steps, it is easy for the people to get access as well as manage the ground water than handling with big wells and tanks.

Show lessRead more
  • Title: Hyderabad Municipal Maps, City Area, Sheet No - 109 Front
  • Creator: Leonard Munn, A.F Chinoy, A.T Mackenzie
  • Date Created: September, 1913
  • Provenance: These sets of maps were created by the Hyderabad Municipal Survey during 1912-1915. The devastation caused by the flood of 1908 in the river Musi, prompted the Nizam’s administration to devise a plan for urban Hyderabad. This was led by an engineer Leonard Munn (1878-1935). The other people, who were part of the survey under Munn, was A.F. Chinoy as the assistant and A.T. Mackenzie as chief engineer from the P.W.D. What makes these maps much more precious is that each and every thing are depicted in it. The names of streets, landmarks, and even residents appeared prominently on the map. The dominant opinion on the creation of the municipal maps is the 1908 flood, which took over many lives as well as even merged some areas into one. After the flood, Nizam decided to change the future of the Hyderabad city, who could realize the pitfalls of unplanned growth, resulted in the formation of a planning body called city improvement Board (CIB) in 1912 under the able guidance of M.Vishveshwarya from Mysore. The following years marked by the development activities by the CIB such as improvement of the Musi river banks, slum clearance, construction of houses, construction of bridges and lakes, road and sewerage, and stormwater drainage etc. Also, M. Vishveshwarya submitted a comprehensive planning and some recommendation for the future modification of the city in 1930. The net result also included the idea of Municipal Survey, because without survey modification of the city would be impossible. Thus, survey became inevitable and became the base for everything. The original survey which was started in 1912, done using trigonometric methods with reference to Global Telecommunication System (GTS) points, took over three years to complete it. The origin of the survey was the S.E minaret of Afzal Ganj Masjid. The survey divided the city into 848 parts, which were grouped into 16 sets and each map showing 1000 feet north to south and 1400 feet east to west. Since the maps are at a scale of 50 feet to 1 inch, showing each and every building that existed then.The survey divided the city into 848 parts, which were grouped into 16 sets (area). These 16 areas were Chadarghat & Residency; Mir Alam & Bahdurpura; Asaf Nagar; Falak Numa; Khariatabad, Karwan; Golconda; Chilkalgura; Lingampalli; Malakpet & Chanchalgura; North Hussain Sagar Tank; Begampet; Saifabad & South Hussain Sagar Tank; Hughes Town & Mushirabad; Phisal Banda, and City area. The number of sheets from each of these areas were more in number. Since the maps are at a scale of 50 feet to 1 inch, showing each and every building that existed then. The main roads along with streets and branch roads; building footprints like whether the building has one or more than one stories; bungalows, and gardens whether it is major or tiny like laid out along with homes or with graves, and finally even minute details. The minute details are interesting because it did not leave even to mark fire plugs, dust bins, letter box pillars, urinal, latrines, baoli, water trough, well, hills, cart tracks, drain channels, hedge, ponds, and lakes etc. The landmarks like the Temple, Mosque, Church, Dargah, Police Station, Dhobi Ghat, Brick Kiln, Tanneries, etc are also well depicted. The residents of prominent people in the form of vestibules along with stables always attached to it are also noted. Also, the graveyards are well marked based on the names given like cemetery, kabristan, masan, and samadh, which makes one easily understandable to which community it belongs. The nature of the soil is also marked well by indicating whether the land was wasteland or else hilly, marshy, and cultivable land etc. Another interesting thing is that the flood level of 1908 also marked by highlighting high and low water marks areas.The general index to the areas, those were the core places of the survey, are given on the back of the map. The index to the sheet numbers from the particular area is also given back of the map. And, it is even mentioned that some sheets have not been printed, because those were blank sheets and showing only water surfaces. Also, 60 symbols and abbreviations are listed on the back indicating whatever things and places come under the survey. Apart from these, the methods used to conduct the survey, Hyderabad Municipal Survey office seal along with reproduced sheet numbers, and even marked whether it is the special edition or not, are also showed clearly on the back of the map.
  • Subject Keywords: Kabristan, Daira Firoz Street, Phul Bagh Maharaja Kishan Prasad Br, Hammam Baoli, Makbarah Kazi Nasir Ali, Dr Mir Inayat Ali Khan, Raja Rai Rayan Br, Baoli, Dewal Maha Deo, Samadh, Kasi Bai baoli, Naubat Khana, Kabristan Shah Bare Sahib, Kabristan, Kabristan Faiz-ullah Sahib, Police Station, Chhatri Lane, Nala Kumar Kunta, Kabristan Kadir Beg, Berun-i Gaulipura Road, Marri Baoli, Dargah Shah Bhikan Shah Kadiri, Kabristan Jahangir Sahib, Kabristan Md Fateh Ali Sahib, Takya Sher Beg, Jam Baoli, Bhoigura Baoli, Kumar Kunta.
  • Type: Map
  • Rights: Prshant Lahoti
  • Medium: Paper
  • Survey: 1912/1915
  • Publishing House: Hyderabad Minicipal Survey
  • Map Size: 69 x 102 cm
  • Image Size: 55.5 x 77 cm
  • Creator's Lifetime: 1878/1935
  • Creator's Bio: Leonard Munn, an engineer, who was the chief inspector of the mines under the Nizam rule. Munn was born in Madresfield village in Worcestershire in England on May 31, 1878. He graduated as a mining engineer and had worked in the mines in Australia and Africa well in the 1890s. Munn arrived in India in 1902, worked first for a private firm as a gold prospector and then became the chief inspector of mines under the Nizam's government. He worked as a mining engineer with Municipal Survey Department during 1909-1919. Then he became the special officer in charge of Well-Sinking and Geological Department and even served as the Director of the Geological Survey in 1928. In 1929, Munn shifted his residence to the Lingsugur, a place in the northern Karnataka, was part of Nizam's dominion in those time. Munn died at Lingsugur on October 21, 1935, and buried in an old British cemetery. An inscription found from his gravestone about his achievement especially on supervising the construction of 1200 wells in the famine zone of Raichur district.
  • Commissioned by: 7th Nizam Mir Osman Ali Khan
  • Collection: Kalakriti Archives

Additional Items

Recommended

Home
Explore
Nearby
Profile