Written in fading and partly rubbed off ink on the artifact itself: "TAKEN FROM THE PAH OF HONI HEKY, BY CAPT. FRANCIS [of the ship] 'VELOCITY' 1845." Note: "pah" is most likey "pa", a Maori settlement, often fortified, especially at that time. "Honi Heky" is most likely Hone Heke, a.k.a. Hone Wiremu Heke Pokai (1810? - 1850), a Maori chief and war leader. Formerly on exhibit in NMNH Exhibit Hall 8, case 6 [exhibit dismantled in 2004], and identified there as a Maori patu, a.k.a. mere, a short hand club / thrusting weapon. It is made of greenstone/pounamu.