Lady Henry - Julia - was the wife of Sir Charles Solomon Henry, Liberal MP for Wellington in Shropshire. Lady Henry probably funded some of the costs for the building and running of the nursery herself together with a subsidy from the Ministry of Munitions. The Nursery opened in May 1917 and closed March 1920 when Lady Henry presented it to to the London County Council in memory of her only son who was killed during the War. Lavery, a successful society painter, was over military age and prevented from joining the Artists’ Rifles, despite successive attempts. He was appointed an official war artist in 1917, but following a car crash in London, he remained in Britain, painting home subjects.