An image from the photo reportage on the telephone line between Lisbon and Sacavém. Along the 12 km separating the two cities, details of the telegraph poles and lines and their integration into the landscape can be seen, in particular where they follow the railway. And, as this image shows, it follows the work done by the linesmen as they connected the phone lines. The terminal for the line was the new Inter-urban Telephone Exchange, inaugurated in June 1956 at the Palácio das Telecomunicações in Praça D. Luís. The transfer of the Central Telegraph and Telephone Service from Praça do Comércio to this new building, designed by the architect Adelino Nunes as part of the General Material and Installations Upgrading Plan, allowed the capacity of this exchange to be expanded to 84 positions.