The theatre was built between 1873 and 1877 by Gaspard André and was rebuilt identically after a fire in 1881. It has undergone some changes but its original machinery is intact (hangers, grills ...). The great Italian auditorium has a ceiling painted by Joanny Domer. In the early twentieth century comedies were held here and the Theatre des Celestins was the first comedy theatre after Paris, the capital. The Saône side of the former monastery façade was restored by JA Morand. The interiors were done by the painter Joanny Domer: the auditorium is decorated with a ceiling dedicated to Aristophanes, author of Greek comedies.