Signed and with a partially illegible date, this panel was originally in the Church of San Francesco in Pistoia. In 1799 it passed into the Granducal Florentine collections. In the mid 16th century, Vasari described it still with its predella which is now lost. It belongs to the artist's later works when the giottoesque solidity of forms blended with the gracefulness and refined use of color typical of Sienese painting. It has been in the Uffizi since 1815.