Loading

Magic night

Lorenzo Raggazi2018

The Royal Society

The Royal Society

'Every-night life in Northern Norway. Since I moved to the world's northern most university, almost every night I admire the phenomenon of the Aurora Borealis. This photo was taken in Ersfjordbotn on the island of Kvaløya near Tromsø, during a clear night at the end of twilight. The Northern Lights is a luminous and multicolored manifestation that occurs in the Earth's atmosphere, typically near the Arctic and Antarctic polar latitudes. The Aurora is generated by the interaction of swarms of charged particles (the solar wind) with the gases that make up the ionosphere, the most external part of the earth's atmosphere, which extends between 85 and 600 km altitude. The solar wind is a current of charged particles that, with varying intensity, is radiated by the sun in space. 95% of the solar wind consists of protons and electrons, in more or less equal parts. The remaining 5% is helium. Its speed ranges between 300 and 900 km/s (therefore between 330 and 1000 times slower than light). To reach the planet Earth (the distance from the Earth to the Sun is 149.6 million km) the solar wind takes between 2 and 9 days.
Camera: Nikon D750, Lens: Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC, ISO 1250, Exposure 4,0 sec at f / 2.8, Focal Lenght 14 mm. Standard post processing made with Lightroom. Tone (Exposure, Contrast, White-balance, Highlights), Presence (Clarity), Region (Lights, Darks, Shadows), Cropping for horizontal alignment.'

Lorenzo Raggazi

Institution: The Arctic University of Norway

Show lessRead more
  • Title: Magic night
  • Creator: Lorenzo Raggazi
  • Date Created: 2018
  • Provenance: The Royal Society Publishing - Photo Competition 2018
  • Rights: Copyright held by the artist
  • Field: Astronomy

Recommended

Home
Explore
Nearby
Profile