This Torah scroll, also known as a Memorial Scroll or Sefer Torah No. 1054, was rescued from the synagogue in Uhlířské Janovice in former Czechoslovakia during the German occupation of Bohemia and Moravia.
Uhlířské Janovice is a small town south east of Prague, with a Jewish community since the 18th century. In 1942, the Jewish community was deported to concentration camps. Forlorn synagogue treasures such as this Torah scroll were stored in the Central Jewish Museum in Prague, where curators valiantly strove to preserve the legacy while working under Nazi occupation. There is no longer a Jewish community in Uhlířské Janovice. Their former presence is documented by the few remnants of the Jewish cemetery.
In 1964, 1,564 Czech Sefer Torahs and 400 Torah binders were sold by the Czechoslovak government after long negotiations and shipped to London by the Memorial Scrolls Trust at Westminster Synagogue, for restoration and distribution. Many of them have been distributed throughout the world as memorials to the Jewish tragedy. This scroll comes from Sydney's Strathfield & District Hebrew Congregation where it was used until recently. Due to the current dwindling numbers of the congregation, the community decided to find a new home for the precious item.