Electric vehicles were particularly advantageous on short routes and with small transport loads. The post office used them mainly in local and suburban areas. Since its founding in 1914, the Hansa-Lloyd-Werke in Bremen has been one of the leading manufacturers of electric vehicles in Germany. From 1928, the Hansa Lloyd electric car, with 14 horsepower and a speed of 16.8 miles per hour, helped its "gasoline colleagues" in delivering parcels. The vehicle’s power capacity, with its rear wheel chain drive, would last for a distance of up to 43 miles.
From 1934, after an order from the National Socialist authorities, all post office vehicles were painted red.