This is a model of the frigate "Medea," built by Julián Martín de Retamosa in 1797 with 389 guns.
The "Medea" was part of a fleet, together with the frigates "Nuestra Señora de las Mercedes," "Clara," and "Fama," traveling from Montevideo to Spain, laden with treasure.It had a crew of 279 men and counted among its passengers Major General Diego de Alvear and his eldest son, Carlos María de Alvear, who was a cadet in the Buenos Aires Regiment of Dragoons at the time. The "Medea" was attacked by the English off Cape Santa Maria in 1804.
It was captured and taken with the others to the port of Gosport in England. The British Royal Navy enlisted it as "HMS Imperieuse" with a crew of 315, and 28 18-pound guns, 2 9-pound guns, and 12 32-pound carronades. Under the command of Lord Cochrane, it took part in actions against the French and, during the War of Independence, assisted the Spanish in the Gulf of Lion and the Bay of Biscay. It served in the British Royal Navy until 1818.