Myrtle Lewis and three of her sons visit the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) Lewis Flight Propulsion Laboratory in Cleveland, Ohio. The Flight Propulsion Research Laboratory was renamed in Lewis’ honor in September 1948. Lewis served as the NACA’s Director of Aeronautical Research for over 20 years.
Lewis joined the NACA as Executive Officer in 1919 and was named Director of Aeronautical Research in 1924. In this role Lewis served as the liaison between the Executive Committee and the research laboratories. His most important accomplishment may have been the investigative tours of German research facilities in 1936 and 1939. The visits resulted in the NACA’s physical expansion and the broadening of its scope of research. Lewis did not take a day of leave between the Pearl Harbor attack and the Armistice, but began suffering health problems in 1945. He was forced to retire two years later and passed in July 1948.
Front row, left to right: Lewis Director Raymond Sharp, Mrs. Lewis, NACA Executive Secretary John Victory; back row: Executive Officer Robert Sessions, Armand Lewis, Harvey Lewis, and George Lewis II. Harvey and George Lewis II were employed at NACA Lewis in the Instrument Service and Applied Compressor sections, respectively.