Clovis Graciliano was born in Araras (SP) in 1907. He moved to São Paulo in 1934. Between 1935 and 1937, he studied with the painter Waldemar da Costa (1904-1982). He was a member of the Família Artística Paulista group, with which he took part in the first collective exhibition in 1937. He held his first solo exhibition in 1941, in the Centro Paranaense in São Paulo; that same year he won the gold medal in painting in the National Salon of Fine Arts. He was a founding partner of the Museum of Modern Art of São Paulo in 1948. Since 1950, he has dedicated himself to mural painting. He illustrated some books, such as The Violent Land (Portuguese: Terras do Sem Fim), by Jorge Amado (1912-2001). He was director of the Pinacoteca of the State of São Paulo, from 1976 to 1978. He died in São Paulo (SP) in 1988.