The reverse side of the emergency banknote issued by the Stuttgart sub-division of the State Railway shows a view of the great hall of the central station in Stuttgart. At the time when the banknote was printed, in 1922, the central station’s first and laborious phase of construction had ended. The new station was designed by Paul Bonatz and Friedrich Eugen Scholer and building had begun in 1914. The First World War and the subsequent depression and hyperinflation caused great setbacks in the construction of the station. The second phase of the construction started in 1925 and ended effectively in 1928. The building narrowly escaped destruction in the Second World War.