Panel of eight flat painted tiles for stair risers depicting a scene from the carts on the El Rocio pilgrimage leaving the city. Drawn in plum brown and ochre, green and blue colours.
During the second half of the 19th century and, especially throughout the 20th century, the architectural use of ceramics reached its high point in Seville. The Ibero-American Exhibition of 1929 was the chance for architects and manufacturers to show the countless attributes of this material. Firms created before and after these dates, like the Jiménez Brothers, Soto y Tello, Mensaque, Rodríguez y Cía., Viuda de Gómez, Ramos Rejano, Mensaque y Soto, Lafita etc, contributed to promoting this Sevillian artistic industry which had a significant role in forming the colourful, bright, sensual and informal image with which the city's architecture is identified.
Tiles known as stair risers were used to face steps and were characterised by framing the main motif with two bands, generally blue, although in this case, they are yellow: one on the top and one at the bottom.