The panel with the Madonna enthroned, the Child and two angels
holding the curtain, part of the sarcophagus of Uberto III Visconti in the
church of Sant'Eustorgio in Milan (1342-1345), is representative of the work of
Giovanni di Balduccio from Pisa (documented 1318 to 1349) who was active in Milan
between 1334-1335 and 1349. Evident here are the elegant refinements typical of
Tuscan sculpture of the period and the increasingly free and natural rendering
of the human figure.