Named for the British queen, the victoria was an
elegant carriage fashionable around 1850. It was used in fine weather to
transport two passengers, who were protected by a folding roof from unexpected
rain. Because the body had no doors, the occupants could be particularly well
seen. This made the victoria a popular lady’s coach, allowing its owner to
display her wardrobe to full effect while going for a ride.
The victoria displayed here was built by
Ludwig Laurenzi in 1852 and was intended to be harnessed à la Daumont: it has
no box since it was driven by mounted coachmen (jockeys). It was reserved for
the personal use of the emperor and his wife and was thus one of the vehicles
used regularly by the newlywed Empress Elisabeth.
© Monica Kurzel-Runtscheiner