Provenance: From the artist, ca. 1881, to Charles Deudon [1832-1914]; by inheritance to his wife, Mme. Charles Deudon, Nice; sold by 1919 to (Paul Rosenberg et Cie., Paris).  Arthur Sachs [1880-1975], New York, Paris, and Cannes, by 1927 until at least 1948. (M. Knoedler & Co., London, New York and Paris); sold 1961 to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1971 to NGA.
According to Anne Distel, "Charles Deudon (1832-1914): collectionneur." La Revue de l'Art no. 86, 1989, p. 63.