The Umbrian town of Deruta was one of the most important centres of maiolica production of lustre ware (maioliche lustrate), and in about 1500 the lustre was combined with blue glaze. Also typical were combinations of orange glaze (often considered typical of Siena maiolica) and blue glaze. The 17th century brought the influence of Urbino maiolica, but motifs on Deruta wares were much simpler. In the second decade of the 17th century what was known as ‘lo stile calligrafico’ appeared, with combinations of blue, orange, yellow and green glaze. Painted motifs are inspired by Dutch interpretations of Chinese Wan Li porcelain. The centrepiece is a typical example of the ‘calligraphic style’, showing birds, a hound, hare and castle ‘entwined’ in a net of leaves and flowers.