Postage stamp issued by the General Gouvernement, the civilian ruling authority established by the Germans in southwestern Poland in 1939. This area was ceded to Germany under the terms of the German-Soviet Pact and it would be occupied by the Germans until 1944. It was divided into four administrative districts with seats in Krakow, Warsaw, Radom, and Lublin. There were several issues of stamps featuring historic landmarks of the region that the Germans claimed were of ancient German origin. This stamp depicts the Town Hall Tower in Krakow.