Singapore, second half of the 19th century
Courtesy of St Margaret's Secondary School, Singapore
The Chinese Girls' School in Singapore, formerly known as the Church of England Zenana Missionary Society (C.E.Z.M.S.) School, was established for poor girls, particularly for mui tsai ("slave" girls), in 1842. A few years later, its principal Miss Grant reported that some of her pupils were able to "embroider beautifully."