This pillar box was originally from Guernsey in the Channel Islands. It was one of the first pillar boxes to be introduced in the UK as an experiment in the Channel Islands in 1852-3. Anthony Trollope, who at the time worked for the General Post Office oversaw this trial. The success of these boxes triggered the introduction of pillar boxes on the Mainland later in 1853.
This box was made locally of cast iron by John Vaudin. It came to us from Bristol. There, it had been standing outside the South Western Postal Region Headquarters since it was presented to the British Post Office by the Guernsey Post Office Board in 1969.
It is very rare as it is one of two left surviving; the other is still in use in Union Street, St Peter Port, Guernsey.