This bass recorder, attributed to Arzasius or Hans Schnitzer, is one of a set of instruments built for use by the Rožmberk Court Band at Rožmberk Castle in Český Krumlov, Bohemia, an ensemble established in 1552 and enlarged during the years up to 1599, when a surviving inventory of the Hofkapelle was taken. At that time, most instruments played in Bohemia came from German and Italian makers. The Rožmberks, in power for three hundred years (1302-1602), were humanists, patrons of the arts, and prominent politicians in the Bohemian kingdom. The recorder is stamped twice just below the windway exit with the same maker's mark that is also found on five srayffaiff (schreyerpfeife) from Rožmberk Castle, now in the National Museum of Czech Music in Prague. This bass recorder is made in one piece of boxwood with brass trim, one brass key, a thumbhole and six fingerholes. It is played by blowing into a hole located in the lip of a cap at the upper end of the instrument (not visible in this view). This recorder is 91.8 cm long.