This ring was designed by the architect W.R. Lethaby (1857-1901) as a wedding gift for his wife Edith Crosby. It was made by the renowed Arts and Crafts jeweller Henry Wilson (1864-1934). Wilson was a trained architect who also worked on visionary church decoration schemes, metalwork, jewellery and lecturing. He taught metalwork at the Central School of Arts & Crafts from 1896 & the Royal College of Art from 1901. His definitive textbook ‘Silverwork & Jewellery’ was published in 1903. Wilson and W.R. Lethaby worked together on the scheme for Liverpool Cathedral in 1902.
He was desribed thus ‘Henry Wilson’s originality stemmed from his ability to combine the strictest disciplines of his craft with a multitudinous variety of influences, resulting in some of the most daringly individual jewels of the period’.