Roker Park was Sunderland AFC's sixth ground. Previously farmland, the club began developing the site in 1898, opening that September with a Grandstand, the Clock Stand opposite, and open terraces behind each goal. Nearest the camera in this view is the Roker End, built in 1911 using reinforced concrete supports, replacing the original solid bank of terracing. Opposite is the Fulwell End, which was extended in 1925 and roofed in 1966 for the World Cup. The Grandstand was rebuilt in 1929 as the Main Stand, designed by the renowned engineer Archibald Leitch. Opposite is the new Clock Stand, shown here under construction in July 1936. It was opened two months later.
Historic England Archive EPW051130.