The Fontaínhas district contains a mixed assortment of buildings of differing types and uses. In the 19th century, the growth of the ceramics industry led to the installation of factories in various locations in the city, such as Miragaia, Monchique, Massarelos and Fontaínhas. The Carvalhinho Pottery Factory (c. 1840) located in the old Quinta da Fraga (between Calçada da Corticeira and the Passeio das Fontaínhas) was originally set up in the now ruined Chapel of Senhor do Carvalhinho. In 1853, the factory was given a large new building for the production of flooring and decorative ceramic tiles. Next to the chapel remain traces of ilhas, cheap housing agglomerations with poor living conditions, occupied by workers.