Master Mateo and his team also worked on the construction of the choir in the first 4 sections of the cathedral's central nave. The first 3 housed the choir stalls and in the fourth was the retrochoir. Mateo's choir was finished in 1211—the year the cathedral was consecrated—and remained standing until 1604, when it was destroyed for new choir stalls to be built.
Pieces of the choir made by Master Mateo that have been recovered and preserved in the cathedral collections include architectural elements, reliefs depicting the medieval bestiary (compendium of animals), and pieces of the external wall. It has also been possible to salvage various pieces of the alternating biblical characters in the choir's external wall, which were separated by towers.A particular point of interest is the image of Saint Matthew, who is shown sitting and writing, in a very similar style to how he appears in the central tympanum of the Portico of Glory.