Having passed under Florentine dominion between 1254 and 1273, beginning in 1372 the Castle of Vinci became the residence of the podestas, who were officials sent by Florence to administer justice out in the countryside. Even today we can admire their aristocratic coats of arms, painted on the walls of this room.
On the eastern side, we find the large Renaissance fireplace in pietra serena commissioned by the podesta Neri Ventura in 1478, while the Madonna with Child and Young St. John, produced in glazed terracotta in 1523 by Giovanni della Robbia, stands out on the northern wall. On the western wall is a small opening testifying to the historical passage allowing access, up until the 13th century, to the tower by means of a ladder fully 13 m long.
The annular-platform crane for construction works on the cathedral lantern and the winch, which are exhibited in this area owing to their dimensions, are related to the section for construction-site machinery, set up in the Palazzina Uzielli.