This view is to the east, looking across Hobson's Bay to present-day Port Melbourne, which was then named Sandridge.
The prominent building in the centre of the painting is the Victorian Sugar Company's premises, later home to the Swallow & Ariell Steam Biscuit Company. Today the building has been converted into apartments, and although still a local landmark, it is now somewhat dwarfed by its surroundings.
The variety and extent of shipping depicted in the bay in this painting attests to Melbourne's importance as both a trading port and a port of arrival, in an era of high immigration.
A wood engraving prepared by R Bruce from Gitten's painting was published in 'The Illustrated Melbourne Post' in September 1865.